Green Jumbo Cardamom Sabz Elaichi KhanaPakana Brand 2 LBS (0.9 KG)
KhanaPakana Green Jumbo Cardamom Sabz Elaichi 2 LBS
Cardamom, often dubbed as the "grains of paradise" is a pungent, aromatic herb which is very versatile. It is also the second most important national spice of India (the first being black pepper), known as the "Queen of Spices. Cardamom is one of the world's very ancient spices. Cardamom grows as a perennial herb with thick, fleshy rhizomes or underground stems shooting leafy roots with leafy stems. It has very large leaves, white or pale green, many seeded pale green to yellow fruits and triangular brownish black seeds. They have a pleasant aroma with warm pungent taste. Green cardamom pods are harder to find and more expensive in part because of their superior ability to retain aroma and flavor longer.
- Wake up taste buds
Country Of Origin: Product of USA
Product Weight: 2 LBS (0.9 KG)
Storage Instructions: Cardamom is best stored in pod form, because once the seeds are exposed or ground, they quickly lose their flavor. However, high-quality ground cardamom is often more readily (and cheaply) available, and is an acceptable substitute. Cardamom needs to be stored in a cool, dry place and in an airtight container. It will stay aromatic for a year in dry conditions.
Health Benefits of Cardamom:
- Stimulates digestive system and reduces gas.
- Expectorant action - Improves circulation to the lungs and thus considered good for asthma and bronchitis
- Can counteract excess acidity in the stomach
- Stimulates appetite and Cures halitosis (bad breath)
- An infusion made by boiling couple of pounded cardamoms in a cup of water along with few mint leaves.
- In Indian cooking cardamom forms one of the main ingredients of Garam Masala, a combination spice for many vegetarian and non vegetarian dishes. It is also an important ingredient in curry powder which is widely used in Indian cooking.
- Tea and coffee made with cardamom are pleasantly aromatic and refreshing. Try Cardamom the Arabic way and add a little to your ground coffee before brewing, then sweeten and top with cream.
- In India we also tend to associate cardamom with the paan (betel leaf).
- Whole green cardamom pods are as esteemed as the seeds they contain - many pulaos, curries and hot dishes call for cardamom to be added whole. It slowly infuses the dish with its essence and the shell disintegrates as it cools. Hence, is often used to provide aroma to biryanis, pulaos and kebabs.
- Indian and Pakistani desserts like Kheer, phirni etc as well as sweets like gulab jamun, gajar ka halwa etc use cardamom to lend a distinctive flavor. Western desserts like flans, rice pudding and porridge also use this spice.